(From, Stop Dating the Church [Multnomah Publishers], by Joshua Harris, pp. 83-96)
This list isn’t exhaustive, but will help you focus on the issues that matter most:
- Is this a church where God’s Word is faithfully taught?
- Is this a church where sound doctrine matters?
- Is this a church where in which the gospel is cherished and clearly proclaimed?
- Is this a church committed to reaching non-Christians with the gospel?
- Is this a church whose leaders are characterized by humility and integrity?
- Is this a church where people strive to live by God’s Word?
- Is this a church where I can find and cultivate godly relationships?
- Is this a church where members are challenged to serve?
- Is this a church that is willing to kick me out?
- Is this a church I’m willing to join “as is” with enthusiasm and faith in God?
No church will perfectly meet all of these qualifications, but there are churches that are seeking to grow in the right ways.
If you’re overwhelmed by too many points, boil it down to three:
You want a church that teaches God’s Word.
You want a church that values God’s Word.
You want a church that lives God’s Word.